background

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Subbing, Stress, Marriage, and Cowboys




I have been subbing a little in the school district here. Only a couple times a week to help bring in a little extra money. It is interesting going in to others classroom after teaching for five years. I find myself being a little prideful when the teachers or other staff at the schools tell me that the day will be good if I am firm with the kids or when I went in to help out a teacher she gave me very detailed instructions on how to make sure the students are comprehending what they are reading. I just smile and say, "Sure, I can do that, no problem." But what I want to say is, "I know what I'm doing. I've taught for five years and I am a dang good teacher so I don't need your little pep talks and instructions."


But I have also been a teacher and am aware of what happens sometimes when a sub comes into a class, so I let it go and go and do my thing and figure people will know that I know what I am doing when the class I am responsible for isn't out of control.

When I am working with the kids, I actually miss teaching a little. There are times though when there is nothing to do and I just watch the clock and think about how soon I can get back home to my boys and wonder if I really want a new dishwasher. I try to work two days a week and today was a day I didn't work and it felt like I was on vacation. Even though I was still doing the same things I always do when I am home...dishes...laundry...cleaning the dang floor(still....)...etc... it wasn't such a burden and I got so much done.


I have decided I can't deal with clutter. It makes me anxious and angry. There were about ten boxes left to be unpacked in the dining room that I hadn't gotten to yet. The unfortunate thing was that they were acting as magnets for other things that didn't belong there. Coolers, clothes, brooms, blankets. It was growing daily and I had to attack it or I know it would have taken over the room and possibly the entire house. I put the boxes in the garage and put all the other stuff away. Then I cleaned the entry way and steam moped the floor (Thanks Matthew!!!). It looks so clean that it makes me happy every time I walk by it. It is an empty room because we don't have furniture, but it looks wonderful. Now all I have to do is do this to the whole house and keep things put away and my life will be a lot less stressful. Here is my clean dining room...and our beautiful purple walls.





Also, my nephew's wife had a baby, which I never thought we would both have our first child the same year, but I got married later than I thought (and that is a good thing because Nate...he's really great! I mean really what else can I say!
Anyway, like I was saying, I married later and he possibly married earlier, but it is working out and we both have a wonderful little son in our lives. My sister Teresa and I got together and decided to make a country themed package since they are both cow people. Here they are.
And what blog would be complete without this face. Cheers!


1 comment:

Matthew said...

Julie, your blog posts absolutely make my day. Evan is adorable. The "Walk the Line" video was great, and the empty dining room looks fantastic! (Remember, I was one who helped create the mess!) We love you all so much.

Matthew