background

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Home Sweet Winchester



Well we have made it. Nathan made the 4 day 2,500 mile drive with his Dad and sister Sherstin and I made the 5 hour flight with a 5 month old (Evan did really well, he slept the entire time which was wonderful!)

Nathan and I are excited to be in our new home and home town. After Las Vegas, the green is a welcome sight as well as the rain. Winchester is a historic town that has been a Shawnee campground, a Quaker settlement, and a town fought over in the Civil War. It changed hands over 70 times. There is a Statue by City Hall that is dedicated to all the soldiers from the South, so it is exciting to be in a town with so much history.

Our house is beautiful, but quite dirty. It hasn't had a good cleaning for several years. We are currently engaged in our own little battle, the battle for the kitchen floor. It is covered with this black greasy junk that you almost have to have a chisel to get off, but we are getting it. So far we have half of the floor done and we have been working on it for a week and a half. Nathan and I are coming to really appreciate our house and it is satisfying to see our hard work paying off, with a clean floor.

Nathan started work yesterday and its hard to let him go. He thinks it will be a lot less stressful for him and that makes me happy. I am going to try to substitute every so often. I have an orientation to attend Thursday morning. I just map quested it and the location is about a block from my house. I am loving being able to walk to things. Nathan and I go on walks every evening. Pretty much we are loving our new homes.

Evan is doing really good. He is getting back on his routine. I think he knows he is in a different place because he just looks at things for the longest time. In the mornings when he wakes up he doesn't cry anymore. We just hear him in his room cooing and gooing and when we walk in to see him he gets the biggest smile on his face as if to say, "There you are!" We sure love him and are excited for his little life.

3 comments:

Portia said...

I am so happy you made it and that you are enjoying yourself. Although I don't envy the battle of the kitchen floor. :)

Matthew said...

Thanks for including me on your blog invitation list. I'm one of the few people who have seen your new home, and it's going to be great! Love you all. Dad

Sherstin said...

Wahoo! Over half the floor clean. That is fantastic. Yay for steam mops :)